Policy for Reimbursement for Personal Consumption Items at Employee's Official Headquarters
I. Policy - Reimbursements and payments for personal consumption items shall be allowable by the following policy. Allowable expenditures by University personnel for these activities must be reasonable, appropriate, and justifiable. Such expenditures shall be fully disclosed to the public except for names of donors and prospective donors. This policy is formulated in accordance with Section 59-101-187 of the amended Code of Laws of SC, 1976.
A. Reimbursements and payments of food expenses from Unrestricted Educational and General Funds.
A-1. THE FOLLOWING UNIVERSITY FUNCTIONS FOR FOOD EXPENSES MAY BE INCURRED FROM EDUCATIONAL AND GENERAL FUNDS:
2. University orientation activities, training and recognition functions.
3. Recognition of students as authorized by the President or designee.
4. One event for each Honors and Freshmen Seminar class.
5. Entertainment or recognition of donors or prospective donors.
6. Business meetings with non-university personnel.
7. Recruitment of students as authorized by the President or designee.
8. Board of Trustees/Board of Trustees Committee meetings.
9. Direct costs relating to the operation, functioning and promotion of Continuing Education programs and conferences in which a fee is collected from participants of the programs and conferences.
10. Search committees as authorized by Vice Presidents or higher authority.
11. Official Presidential entertainment or entertainment in the interest of the university as directed by the President.
A-2. THE FOLLOWING RULES AND CONDITIONS APPLY:
a. Functions held on campus must be catered by University Dining Services with the exceptions of numbers 9, 10, and 11 or those functions self-catered with a cost less than $250. Catering for functions not held on campus, which utilize state funding, must be procured in accordance with the SC Procurement Code.
b. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited except for continuing education programs and conferences in which a fee is collected from participants.
B. Reimbursement for payment of food expenses from Designated Funds, Student Activity Funds, Athletic Funds, Private Funds and Auxiliary Funds.
B-1. THE FOLLOWING UNIVERSITY ACTIVITIES FOR FOOD EXPENSES MAY BE INCURRED FROM DESIGNATED FUNDS, STUDENT ACTIVITY FUNDS, ATHLETIC FUNDS, PRIVATE FUNDS AND AUXILIARY FUNDS:
1. Student Activities
2. Athletic Activities
3. Business meetings with other departmental personnel.
4. Catered employee recognition and special occasion functions.
5. Catered staff meetings.
6. Per diem expenditures in excess of State Travel Regulations as approved by Vice Presidents or higher authority. An authority higher than the individual must approve expenditures.
C. Reimbursement for payment of foods expenses from Restricted funds shall be in compliance with award specifications.
II. Procedure - Requests for reimbursement should be submitted on an Entertainment Expense Documentation Form or Travel Request Form (along with appropriate receipts and/or invoices) and must include an exact description of the purpose of the expenditure and those persons in attendance except for donors and prospective donors.