The Department is housed in the McNair Science Building and the Leatherman Science Facility. The department enjoys excellent facilities for an undergraduate institution, with a major addition being completed in 1994.
Two laboratories joined by a balance room serve General Chemistry. The Organic laboratory is regarded as state of the art. It has three separate instrument rooms associated with it. There are also separate laboratories for Analytical, Physical and Instrumental Chemistry. Research also has a large lab and separate prep room devoted to it.
Class sizes rarely exceed 65 and remain moderate at all levels. Multimedia equipped classrooms are used extensively and include internet connected computer, video presenter, videocassette, and laserdisk, in addition to computer projection hookups.
A partial list of instrumentation available to the Chemistry program includes:
Fourier Transform infrared spectrophotometers: MIDAC M1000, PRS-102, and Perkin-Elmer Spectrum Two , which has Attenuated Total Reflectance and Diffuse Reflectance Accessories.
Shimadzu AA-6501 Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer
Ultraviolet and visible spectrophotometers: Shimadzu UV-1800; Ocean Optics
High Performance Liquid Shimadzu 10A and Shimadzu GC-17A gas chromatographs
Gow-Mac Gas Chromatographs used in 200 and 300 level labs
Fourier Transform Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer: Anasazi EFT60 60MHz
Luminescence Spectrophotometer:PE LS50B
Gel Permeation Chromatograph: Waters
Differential Scanning Calorimeter: PE DSC7Y
A Photochemical Reactor in the Organic Lab speeds reactions, a Mettler-Toledo Melting Point system can video.
Physical Chemistry has several instruments such as Ciritcal Point Apparatus, Solution Calorimeter, P-E Scanning Polarimeter
Many of these instruments are interfaced with computers for data acquisition and processing.
Student use of computers is required in all courses.
Internet access and WiFi is widely available and required in all courses.
The department maintains two computer laboratories for the use of its students.
The first laboratory currently has 15 computers while the second has seven. Others are available in the Academic Computer Center, Library and at other places on campus.