Some Chemistry Graduates
Earlier '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '12 '16
FMU Chemistry graduates do well after graduation, going into many different fields. In particular, those who want jobs in Chemistry-related fields are able to obtain them.
Class of 2016
Several of these students were not strictly Chemistry majors, but spent considerable time in coursework, research and activities of the Department. Students, L to R: Ashlie Ransom, Victoria E Conyers, Morgan Hicks. Ashlie has been employed by Duke University in Cancer Research, Victoria at Patheon in Pharmaceutical chemistry work, and Morgan joined the PA program at FMU.
Class of '12
Al Knowlin with Parents
Three of the more than ten graduates in 2003. Matt Blatnik (L) was a Chemistry / Biology double major. Shannon Bailey (C) and Chanda Goodson (R) started work at IRIX Pharmaceuticals:
Fall 2002 graduates included Nicole LaCava, Chris Melton, and Katie Mears. Chris received his PhD.
May 2002 graduates were Jason Abernathy, Karen Dollarhite, Mitchell Hansen, Kenya Richburg, and Amber Smith. Mitch has a job with Liofol in NC. They deal with adhesives for the flexible packaging and industrial lamination industries. Jason is working at DHEC.
The Class of 2001 was smaller than usual, but had quality. The graduates included Lewis "Bud" Austin III (L) of Blenheim, Adam Blyden (R) of Georgetown and Toby Nelson (C) of Lake City. Not pictured are Michelle Pittard of Florence and Jason Lambert of Marion.
Jason Lambert recently enrolled in graduate school at USC in Columbia, then took a job at DHEC. Bud works at IRIX Pharmaceuticals. Toby was employed at IRIX Pharmaceuticals until he started graduate school at USC in the fall of '02, graduating with a PhD in '07. He is now a research professor at Oklahoma State.
- Laura Graham taught science at TKE and took Nursing.
- Toni Montgomery underwent training at SLED.
- Shannon Byrd is teaching at the high school level.
The class of '99 was fairly typical.
- Bruce Johnson from Latta (R. above) is enrolled in medical school in this state.
- Michael Bohachic from Dillon (Left, above) will be working at a pharmaceutical manufacturer or possibly DHEC.
- Michael Fu Man Yip (center pitcure, L) from Marion is working in the laboratory at AVX in Horry County.
- Hamilton Dickson from South Africa (center picture, right) received his MS in Chemistry at Miami (of Ohio) University. When he graduated he took a job as a Medicinal Chemist with Galaxo-Welcome (now GlaxoSmithKline) in NC. He was named employee of the month in May 2003.
- Mandy Lehman from Clover (not pictured) is employed with IRIX Pharmaceuticals.
- Mandy Harrington was employed with Roche Carolina Pharmaceuticals and moved to the Federal labs at Los Alamos.
Several others are not pictured and information will be added as it is received.
Previous years have students in graduate school, medical school and employed at major pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Terry Vaughn is a PhD graduate of The University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
William Lewis ('98) is employed as Environmental Manager at ArvinMeritor.
Brandon Younce and Jackie Outlar are among those employed at IRIX Pharmaceuticals.
Graduate school enrollments currently include Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Penn State and USC.
Robert Sears and Kim Thigpen Black work in the labs at SLED.
Our '96 graduate Marcia Taylor graduated in May '00 with Honors from the University of South Carolina Medical School and is working at a medical clinic near Columbia.