The FMU Writing Center offers online tutorial appointments in Blackboard Collaborate. To learn how to engage in our online appointments, keep reading!
To join us in online tutorials, please follow these steps:
1) Make an appointment. Call the FMU Writing Center at 843.661.1528 during our normal operating hours (Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. or Fridays 9:00 a.m.-1:30 p.m. to speak with a desk assistant and pre-book your appointment.
2) Prior to your appointment, make sure you have headphones and a microphone (preferably together in a headset). If we cannot hear you and speak with you, we cannot hold an appointment with you.
3) Check your computer for Adobe Reader. This is a free program you use to read PDF files. If you already have this program, proceed to step #4. If you don't have this program, go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/ for a free download. (NOTE: Uncheck the box to download the Google Toolbar if you don't want to download it along with Adobe Reader.)
4) Check for Mozilla Firefox and Java. Go to http://support.blackboardcollaborate.com/
4A) In the white area on the right side of the screen, click the link "First Time Users." On the next screen, click "Blackboard Collaborate Web Conferencing."
4B) This next screen will tell you if you have a compatible operating system and Java. If you see a red "X" under the left side of the screen, you will need to switch to another computer that has a compatible operating system. If you see a red "X" on the right side of the screen, click the "X" and follow the directions to download Java. It should take a couple of minutes.
4C) When you are through, go through steps 4A and 4B again. If you have two green checkmarks, you should be set for your appointment!
5) Shortly before your appointment, check your email. You will receive an email from the FMU Writing Center with a hyperlink to access Blackboard Collaborate. Click the link to enter the session.
6) If you have technical problems, contact 843.661.1111. Depending on the time needed to correct your technical problems, we may need to reschedule your appointment.