1) We recommend a program, like AVG, to prevent junk-ware from entering your PC. This program can be downloaded for free from here.
2) Use discretion when installing downloaded programs. Unused or useless programs waste space and resources. Keeping these to a minimum reduces the risk of getting a virus or spy-ware, and greatly affects the computer operating speed.
3) Retain all CD’s and software for your PC and make frequent back-up files in the event that the system has to be reinstalled.
4) It is recommended to have all computer equipment connected through a surge protector in the event of a power outage.
5) A firewall is recommended to prevent intruders from accessing your PC. Windows has an integrated firewall available from the network control panel. To enable the Windows integrated firewall click:
Start menu>>Settings>>Control Panel>>Windows Firewall
6) It is recommended to perform internet clean-up activities every few weeks. To perform a the internet clean-up:
Start menu>>Settings>>Control Panel>>Internet Options>>select General tab>>Delete Cookies/Delete Files
NOTE: This will delete ALL passwords i.e. yahoo, hotmail, etc. and website settings on your PC. You may want to skip this step if you don’t remember your passwords.