Apply Now
Campus Visit
Contact Us
Financial Assistance
Honors Program
Request Information
Net Price Calculator

Future Students

Commonly Recurring Terms


ACT: The ACT Assessment is designed to assess high school students' general educational development and their ability to complete college-level work. The test covers four skill areas: English, mathematics, reading and science.

Cashier’s Office: The Cashier's Office is where all university fees are paid (tuition, housing, meal plans, etc). The Cashier's office also offers a payment plan for fees payment.

College preparatory courses: High school courses that prepare students for the academic level required in a university environment. College preparatory course standards are set by the state of South Carolina. Parents should talk to high school guidance counselors for courses that meet a college preparatory curriculum.

Resident Assistant: A resident assistant (RA) is someone who was selected from a larger group of applicants to help assist the students in a residential area. They can help your students as they prepare to make the adjustment from high school to college.

Co-op/Internship: The terms cooperative education (co-op) and internship both define types of work experiences available to students who have been admitted into their degree program. Work performed by a student in a co-op or internship provides educational opportunities consistent with the student's course of study.

FAFSA: The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that must be completed every year with updated federal tax information, and can be submitted as early as January 1st of your student's senior year. Francis Marion University’s priority deadline date for submitting the FAFSA is February 15th. The priority deadline date is used in determining your student's eligibility for federal campus based funds (loans, grants and work study). A student will not be notified about financial aid unless a FAFSA form is filed.  Please remember to put FMU's Title IV School Code (009226) in Step 6 on the 2004-2005 FAFSA.

General Education: Francis Marion's general education program is required of all students and serves as a foundation upon which all baccalaureate programs are built. Students must complete a minimum of 51 credit hours for A Bachelor’s of Science Degree and 62 for a Bachelor’s in Arts Degree.

Grant: A grant is a non-repayable gift aid based upon financial need. Available grants include the Federal Pell Grant, South Carolina Need-Based Grant, and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Loan: Federal loans, unlike grants or scholarships, must be repaid and at least half-time registration is required to be eligible to receive these loans. The different loan programs include the Federal Perkins Loan, South Carolina Teacher’s Loan Program, Federal Subsidized / Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS).

PSAT: The PSAT/NMSQT Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) is a program co-sponsored by the College Board and the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. For many students, the PSAT/NMSQT is the first step on the road to college. It assesses skills developed through years of study in a wide range of courses as well as through experiences outside the classroom. The PSAT/NMSQT has three parts: Verbal, Math and Writing Skills.

PLAN: As a "pre-ACT" test, PLAN is a powerful predictor of success on the ACT Assessment, At the same time, many schools recognize the importance of PLAN testing for all students, as it focuses attention on both career preparation and improving academic achievement. Typically, PLAN is administered in the fall of the sophomore year.

Registrar: Francis Marion's Registrar takes care of class schedules, Veteran’s Affairs and degree audits. They also verify enrollment and provide official transcripts for students.

SAT: The SAT measures critical reading, mathematical reasoning and writing skills students have developed over time and skills they need to be successful academically. The SAT is scored on a scale of 200-800 (for each section) and is typically taken by high school juniors and seniors. 

Work-Study: The Federal Work-Study Program is a federally funded student employment program. The federal support provides for 75% of the student's gross wages, while the employing department/organization pays the remaining 25%. Eligibility to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program is based on the student's financial need. Francis Marion University's Financial Aid Office grants awards for students upon completion of the FAFSA. Students who are awarded work-study monies are eligible for employment in both on campus and off campus in Federal Work-Study positions.


Last Published: November 29, 2010 3:02 PM


Office Hours:

Monday – Thursday
8:00 am – 5:15 pm
8:30 am – 12:00 pm
Empowered by Extend, a school software solution from