Robert E. McNair Scholarship
Award = full tuition, room and board plus book allowance
To be considered for the McNair Scholarship, submit the online scholarship application, mail two letters of recommendation, and email two original essays. The finalists will be invited to interview on campus. The award is renewable for 4 years with the student completing 30 semester hours a year and maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA.
The Office of Admissions will begin accepting applications for the 2017-2018 Robert E. McNair Scholarships in September 2016.
- Be a South Carolina resident
- Be a High school senior who has been admitted or have all admission materials sent to the University by the scholarship deadline--December 1, 2017
- Achieve a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have a combined SAT Score of 1100 (Critical Reading and Math) or higher or have an ACT Composite Score of 24 or higher
- Display a dedication to public service
- Submit two original essays (see application for more detail)
- Submit two letters of recommendation
Benefits of the McNair Scholarship:
- Receive free tuition, fees, book allowance, and room and board for the four years they attend Francis Marion University
- Opportunity to travel abroad during spring break of the freshman year
- Opportunity to study abroad in one of our exchange student programs. McNair Scholars can choose to either study in Canada (for science majors), England, France, Germany, or Ireland
- Admission to the Francis Marion Honors Program. This includes the opportunity to travel on the yearly Honors trip held every Fall. Locations include New York City, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
- Opportunity to participate in the National Model United Nations Conference in New York City every spring
- Register early for courses
- Live in upgraded housing - McNair Scholars will live in the Forest Villas Apartments, the newest housing on campus. These furnished units contain four private bedrooms, two bathrooms, and shared living room and kitchen space. (One and two bedroom units may be available)
- Attend Seminar/Speaker Series with distinguished speakers impacting South Carolina government and history, including former Governor Jim Hodges, the chair of the McNair Center Advisory Council
- Experiential Learning Opportunities outside the classroom
- Participation in public service activities to further strengthen the local community
For more information please contact:
Alissa Warters, Ph.D.
Professor of Political Science
Director, Robert E. McNair Center for Research and Service
P.O. Box 100547
Florence, South Carolina 29502-0547