Award = full tuition, room and board plus book allowance
Francis Marion University’s prestigious Robert E. McNair Scholarship recognizes South Carolina students who have demonstrated both academic excellence and a strong desire for a life of public service. It is named after former South Carolina Governor Robert E. McNair, whose career serves as an exemplar for scholarship recipients.
The McNair Scholarship is FMU’s most prestigious scholarship. Recipients receive a virtually cost-free education at one of the state’s best public universities, gain access to an array of experiences designed to broaden and enrich their lives, and join the ranks of McNair alumni, a growing band who are making their mark across South Carolina and beyond.
The McNair Scholarship is a competitive scholarship that identifies recipients through a comprehensive process. The selection criteria includes written essays, evaluation of a student’s academic records, recommendations and in-person interviews.
The Office of Admissions is currently accepting applications for 2017-18 Robert E. McNair Scholarships.
Benefits and Opportunities
McNair Scholars receive full tuition and housing fees to Francis Marion University, plus a book allowance, and a meal plan. The scholarship is renewable for the four years students attend Francis Marion University. Additional benefits and opportunities include:
- Travel abroad during spring break of the freshman year
- Study abroad in one of FMU's exchange student programs
- Automatic admission to FMU's superb Honors Program
- Opportunity to participate in the National Model United Nations Conference in New York City every spring
- Early class registration
- Housing in the Forest Villas Apartments, FMU's newest residential units
- Access to the McNair Scholars Speaker Series featuring distinguished speakers on politics, government, history, and more
- Experiential learning opportunities outside the classroom
- Participation in public service activities to further strengthen the local community
McNair Scholarship Criteria
Candidates for the Robert E. McNair Scholarship at FMU must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time South Carolina resident
- Be a high school senior
- Be admitted to FMU prior to the December 1 McNair deadline
- Maintain a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have a combined Pre-March 2016 SAT Score (Critical Reading and Math) of 1100 or higher; combined New SAT Score (Evidence Based Reading & Writing and Math) of 1160 or higher; or a 24 or higher ACT Score
- Possess a demonstrated interest in public service
- Deliver a completed McNair application and all additional required materials (essays, two letters of recommendation) to the Director of the Robert E. McNair Center by December 1, 2016
For more information please contact:
Alissa Warters, Ph.D.
Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Enrollment Management
P.O. Box 100547
Florence, South Carolina 29502-0547