Application Dates: November 2, 2017 - March 1, 2018
To complete the application a student must:
- Complete a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with at least a 3.0 GPA based on a 4.0 scale;
- Submit official transcript(s) of all undergraduate and graduate work from accredited institutions to CASPA only;
- Submit scores, to CASPA only, from the Graduate Record Examination taken within the last five years. Only the General Test is required. Combined scores above 290 with a minimum of 140 on each of the Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections are required. GRE code for CASPA is 0553;
- Provide 3 letters of recommendation, through CASPA, from former professors or professional associates/supervisors who can attest to the academic potential of the applicant. Letters from faculty members in academic settings are preferred.
- Applicants should have at least 250 hours of clinical work. The clinical experience can be voluntary work, shadowing experiences provided through employment, or a combination of these;
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA, on a 4.0 scale, in all prerequisites combined;
Prerequisite Courses to be completed before matriculation:
- Four credits of general biology with lab
- Eight credits of anatomy and physiology with labs (this may be taken as two combined anatomy & physiology courses with labs, or one anatomy course with lab and one physiology course with lab)
- Four credits of microbiology with lab
- Eight credits of general chemistry with lab
- Four credits of organic chemistry with lab
- Three credits of statistics or biostatistics
- Six credits of psychology (at least 1 course preferably in abnormal or lifespan development at 200 or above level)
- One credit of healthcare terminology
- The program does not grant advanced placement, accept transfer credit from a student previously enrolled in another PA program, nor does it accept experiential credit. All students accepted into the PA program must satisfy all requirements of the didactic and clinical years of study.
How to Apply
Francis Marion University Department of Physician Assistant Studies participates in the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) for the receipt and processing of all applications. To apply to our program, you must have a verified CASPA application and complete the FMU PA Graduate School Supplemental Application.
Documents that need to be submitted to CASPA:
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended;
- 3 letters of recommendations
- Official GRE scores (via the code 0553)
Documents that need to be submitted with Supplemental Application:
- Personal statement of 400-750 words explaining the student’s reason for applying to the FMU PA Program and describing his/her clinical experience;
- Non-refundable graduate application fee ($39)
Only verified CASPA applications will be considered by the FMU Department of Physician Assistant Studies. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure all application materials are received by the deadline date.
Any questions regarding admissions, contact Elizabeth Sadler (firstname.lastname@example.org; 843-661-1659).