FLORENCE – The Francis Marion University Advancing Rural Community Health (ARCH) Program will sponsor a series of free
health screenings for the general public at the following locations:
· Friday, Oct. 16, 1-5 p.m., Outreach Family Fellowship, 136 Pee Dee Church Rd., Dillon
· Saturday, Oct. 17, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Marion City Fire Department, 107 East Bond St., Marion
· Friday, Oct. 23, 1-5 p.m., Helping Hands Free Clinic, 518-C S. Main St., Mullins
· Friday, Oct. 30, 1-5 p.m., Clio Community Center, 101 Calhoun St., Clio
· Friday, Nov. 6, 1-5 p.m., Blenheim Community Center, Hwy. 38 North, Blenheim
· Saturday, Nov. 7, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., Mullins Fire Department, 161 N.E. Front St., Mullins
· Friday, Nov. 13, 1-5 p.m., McColl Church of God Fellowship Hall, 205 S. Church St., McColl
· Friday, Nov. 20, 1-5 p.m., St. James AME Church, Ariel Crossroads, 5333 S. Hwy. 41, Marion
The screenings will consist of height, weight and blood pressure check, finger stick blood sugar, lab work for cholesterol and kidney function and a health survey. Diabetics will also have a hemoglobin A1C drawn (a test that measures diabetic control over the previous three months). No appointments are necessary and fasting is not required.
The ARCH Program was established at FMU to provide a variety of health awareness services in rural communities including health screenings, health awareness seminars and lifestyle education programs. Under the direction of staff physician, Paul DeMarco M.D., students enrolled in programs leading to careers involving health care, mental health, social work, and related fields are involved in providing these services, with emphasis on rural communities in the Pee Dee Region.
The programs and services are provided in community-based venues, including schools, community centers, churches, civic organizations and other appropriate locations. Since its inception, the ARCH screening team has provided more than 60 screenings for more than 1,500 participants.
For more information about the screening or the ARCH program, contact the ARCH office at 843-661-1845 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the ARCH website at www.fmarion.edu/students/arch.
# 38/ 10-9-09