Francis Marion University’s 45th year officially begins with the start of regular fall classes on Aug. 19. But the university will be abuzz with activity for the next several weeks as campus life begins anew.
University officials note that it’s still not too late to register for fall classes. Anyone interested in enrolling for the fall semester should contact the FMU Admissions at 843-661-1231 as soon as possible. Admission to the fall semester ends on Monday, Aug. 18.
Here’s a look at the key events in the opening weeks of the fall semester:
· Saturday, Aug. 16, freshman Move-in. Student housing opens for freshmen. Staff, faculty and assorted student groups from the FMU community will be on hand to assist new students and their family, in what has become a beloved university tradition.
· Sunday, Aug. 17, All dorms open. Housing opens for upperclassmen move in.
· Monday, Aug. 18, Orientation. Students who have not yet attended an orientation session can attend this session in Chapman Auditorium to learn about key campus procedures. Check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.
· Monday, Aug. 18, Registration and fee payment. Students will also be able to meet with their advisers for open registration and pay their fees.
· Monday, Aug. 18, Classes begin. The first day of fall classes convene at 4:30 p.m. Labs to be held on
· Monday, Aug. 18, Faculty welcome. FMU President Dr. Fred Carter will welcome faculty back to campus at a breakfast at 8:30 a.m. in the Ervin Dining Hall. His annual address always helps set the tone for the school year.
· Tuesday – Friday, Aug. 19-22, Late registration and drop/add. This is the last chance to register for fall classes. Any student interested in taking classes should contact the FMU Admissions Office at 843-661-1231 as soon as possible.
· Friday, Aug. 22, Student organization and community fair. The fair will be held in McNair Science building at 4 p.m. and will introduce new students to many of the organizations, clubs, departments and activities available to them at FMU and the surrounding community.
· Saturday, Aug. 30, Friday, Sept. 26 and Thursday, Nov. 13, FMU Performing Arts Center fall performances. The fall semester will bring a few concerts to the 849-seat FMU Performing Arts Center in downtown Florence. Lyle Lovett and his Large Band will appear on the mainstage on Aug. 30, contemporary Christian legend Amy Grant will be in town on Sept. 26, and Mary Chapin Carpenter will perform on Nov. 13.