Starting & Chartering a New Group @ FMU:
There are more than 50 student organizations offering opportunities for involvement for all FMU students. Organizations listed on this website represent groups registered for the current academic year. If you could not find an organization that meets your needs, feel free to discuss the possibility of starting a new organization with a member of the Dean of Students Office staff. The majority of officially recognized student organizations are considered to by "University Affiliated." The University does not sponsor or endorse activities associated with these groups. The use of the University's name in the organization's title is possible, as long as university sponsorship or endorsement is not implied or stated.
Organizations wishing to use the name and/or facilities of Francis Marion University must have formal approval by the University. Pending official approval, a proposed organization is permitted to meet on campus but only for the purpose of organizing. A proposed organization shall not conduct any program or activities until its charter is duly approved by the Division of Student Affairs. The request for charter approval may be obtained from the Dean of Students Office.
The following information is required of organizations seeking to be chartered by Francis Marion University:
1. Name of the organization
2. Statement of purpose and statement of contribution to the university community.
3. List of at least 7 members, all of whom must have a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
4. Indication of any affiliation.
5. Indication of source of financial support.
6. Proposed adviser(s), who must be a full-time member of the Francis Marion University faculty or staff.
7. Signature (7 required) of all prospective members who are full-time (those carrying 12 or more semester hours) students.
Groups with recognized national affiliations must meet the membership guidelines established by the national office.
8. Must attend Student Organization Training on August 29 from 9:00am-12:00pm in Chapman Auditorium.
For more information regarding starting and chartering a new organization on the FMU campus, please contact a staff member in the Dean of Students Office.