The Bridge to Francis Marion University Program is a distinctive academic transfer program available to students throughout the state. Beginning with a strong first-year academic experience at one of the technical colleges listed below, the Bridge program includes dedicated academic advising and student support services — all of which are designed to help students succeed in meeting Bridge academic requirements and transferring to Francis Marion University. Advisers from both institutions assist students with selecting courses that transfer to Francis Marion University. The successful collaboration between the technical colleges and Francis Marion allows Bridge students to make progress in their intended Francis Marion major during their freshman year while preparing to enroll at Francis Marion beginning their sophomore year. The Bridge program staff is committed to providing students with the educational tools and services they need to succeed.
TECHNICAL COLLEGE PARTNERSHIPS
SPECIAL BENEFITS FOR BRIDGE STUDENTS
- Access to FMU Rogers Library
- Access to athletic events
- Access to Smith University Center (bookstore, indoor pool, fitness room, and weight room)
- Special FMU student discounts for events and performances held at the FMU Performing Arts Center
- Dual academic advising by professionals at the technical college and FMU
- Guaranteed transferability of courses taken at the technical college when Bridge Student adheres to a Program Pathway or FMU Transfer Guide
- Courses selected through the Program Pathway will also coincide with required academic program requirements for that specific major at FMU
- FMU representative will visit each technical college partner institution at least once a semester and will be available during that visit to meet with Bridge Students to answer any questions or concerns the student may have
- Specific transfer orientation sessions are available for Bridge Students prior to enrolling at FMU
Bridge students enroll at one of the above technical colleges for their freshman year and start their course work in the fall semester. To be admitted to Francis Marion University for the sophomore year, Bridge students are required to earn a minimum of twenty-two (22) transferable semester credit hours and a 2.0 grade point average during their freshman year. Students who satisfy Bridge academic requirements will be admitted to Francis Marion for the subsequent Fall semester without being required to resubmit a Francis Marion University admission application. Students who do not satisfy the Bridge academic requirements will be encouraged to apply for admission to Francis Marion University at a later date. A list of transferrable courses may be found here.
In addition to the technical college application, students must complete the Francis Marion application as well as the Bridge Enrollment Form to be admitted to the Bridge Program. Once a student is ready to transfer to Francis Marion, the Bridge Update App Request Form will need to be completed and submitted to the Admissions Office at Francis Marion University.
While grades earned at technical colleges will not subsequently be included in a student’s Francis Marion grade point average (GPA), the grades and credit hours a student earns at the technical college will count toward determining the student’s eligibility for the South Carolina LIFE scholarship.
Technical College Tuition and Fees
The tuition and fees for the technical college are located on each institution’s website. Technical college tuition and fees vary based on residency classification and the number of credit hours in which a student is enrolled. Please visit the website of the technical college you wish to attend for the current tuition and fees for full-time students.
MEET WITH AN ADMISSIONS COUNSELOR
Admissions Counselors are available for one-on-one meetings with prospective students and their families Monday through Friday during normal business hours. Please complete the reservation form below, or call us at 1-843-661-1231; toll free at 1-800-368-7551. Online meeting reservations must be submitted at least 1 business day before your desired date to ensure availability of an Admissions Counselor. We look forward to meeting you soon!