April 2, 2021
Sports Information Director Intern (21-43)
Francis Marion University and the Department of Athletics invite applications for an intern for the Department of Athletics beginning July 15, 2021. The 10-month position (July 15, 2021 – May 15, 2022) is renewable after a year. Weekend and night work will be required. The position will be based on a specific hour and wage structure.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Assist the Associate Athletic Director for Communication Services with the promotion and publicity of all 14 NCAA sports
- Write and edit press releases and game stories
- Produce athletic publications such as game programs and (online) media guides
- Assist with the updating of the athletics website, fmupatriots.com
- Manage video content for the website
- Handle play-by-play duties for webcasts of some sports
- Compile and distribute statistics
- Maintain Francis Marion athletics social media sites
- Operate computer programs, including Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, NCAA Live Stats, and Stat Crew System software.
At the conclusion of the internship, the individual will have been exposed to all aspect of a college sports information office.
Francis Marion, a state-supported comprehensive university with an enrollment of approximately 4,000 students, sponsors 14 intercollegiate sports, 13 of which compete in the NCAA Division II Peach Belt Conference and one (men’s golf) of which competes as an NCAA Division I independent. Florence, S.C., is located in northeastern South Carolina at the intersection of Interstate Highways 95 and 20. It is 80 miles from the state capital, Columbia, and 60 miles from Myrtle Beach. Historical Charleston is 120 miles away.
FM Requirements: Strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills are required. A working knowledge of public relations and college sports is also expected.
Preference will be given to applicants with experience in a collegiate sports information office, website management, and in scoring baseball/softball contests. A working knowledge of various Stat Crew Systems and NCAA Live Stats software and familiarity with digital photography, video editing software, Adobe InDesign, and Photoshop is also desired.
Materials Needed: 1) Letter of Interest (Referencing Position Number 21-43);
2) FM Application;
4) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references;
5) publication/writing samples; and
6) copies of transcripts for any collegiate coursework (official transcripts will be required of the successful candidate).
To obtain the FM Application, please click here.
Send Application Packet to: Dr. Charlene Wages, Vice President for Administration, PO Box 100547, Florence, SC 29502-0547 or FAX to (843) 661-1202.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Minorities and Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution
To apply for this job please visit www.fmarion.edu.