THE HEWN-TIMBER CABINS:
African-American Life in Rural South Carolina
1840's to 1950's
African Americans were brought to the farm of J. Eli Gregg in 1836 to raise cotton. Additionally, they also had to construct the farm buildings as well as cabins for their own housing. These two remaining cabins, along with six others, were built beside a sandy road in a cotton field. After emancipation, most of the cabins were moved to scattered locations on the farm and small additions made. The cabins remained occupied until approximately 1953. These remaining two cabins were preserved, moved to their present location on Wallace Woods Road, just off of Highway 301, and permanently reside there to honor the heritage and contributions of those who occupied them. They are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Click on this link to access the full website dedicated to the Hewn-Timber Cabins.