The FMU Writing Center, located in Founders Hall 114-C, is available to assist all students improve their current writing abilities and acquire the skills needed to succeed at writing tasks in academic and professional communities.
Trained student consultants and English department faculty consultants provide one-to-one assistance on a wide range of writing tasks and projects, including research papers for all disciplines, literary analyses, creative writing, lab reports, resumes, business letters, and graduate school applications.
Students are invited to meet with a consultant at any stage of the writing process for guidance on generating a topic, clarifying a thesis statement, building an argument, reorganizing paragraphs, incorporating research, revising a draft, or learning about grammatical errors. The Writing Center encourages students to use writing as a means of personal expression and as a tool for learning in and beyond the university environment.
FMU Writing Center Schedule - Fall 2019
Meet in the Writing Center, located in Founders Hall 114-C. Book your tutorials through our website by clicking here
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Meet online with a Writing Center consultant (log into our online schedule for availability)
Monday – Thursday evenings (5:00-8:00 p.m.); Sunday evenings (4:00-8:00 p.m.)
Meet weekday evenings in the Tutoring Center with a Writing Center consultant (book an appointment in the Tutoring Center’s online schedule)
Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings (5:00-8:00 p.m.)
You can also make an appointment by visiting us in the Writing Center in Founders Hall 114-C or phoning ahead at 843-661-1528. If you have any questions about our tutorial service, please contact us.
Writing Center Services
Trained writing consultants are available to provide FMU students with one-to-one conferences about their writing projects for any class–not just English. In addition, we help students with creative writing, resumes and cover letters, and personal projects.
Students are invited to meet with a consultant at any stage of the writing process, though we ask that students bring along any pre-writing notes, research materials, or drafts that may help us discuss their work. Also, students should also bring along the assignment sheets from their instructors. While we will not proofread work for grammatical errors, we will help students to learn how to spot their own errors and gain the skills needed to succeed at writing tasks. Tutorials are available by appointment or on a drop-in basis.
To meet with a tutor, please call 843-661-1528 or stop by the Writing Center in Founders Hall 114-C.
Each semester the Writing Center hosts a series of workshops on a variety of writing-related topics, including information about basic writing skills, research papers, documentation formats, and employment materials. Each interactive presentation is designed to equip students with the skills they need to succeed at writing tasks in academic and professional environments.
* All Writing Center Workshops will be held in Lowrimore Auditorium (CEMC 114).
- Conquering Fragments and Run-ons – 2:30, Wednesday, September 20
- Avoiding Plagiarism – 2:30, Monday, September 25
- Using MLA Format – 2:30, Wednesday, September 27
- Conquering the Comma – 2:30, Monday, October 2
- Transitions: Polishing Paragraphs – 3:45, Tuesday, October 17
- Using APA Format – 3:45, Thursday, October 26
- Writing Lab Reports – 3:45, Thursday, November 2
- Writing Essay Exams – 2:30, Monday, November 27
If you have a quick question about grammatical usage, let us help you find the answer. Please call 843-661-1528 to speak with a writing consultant.
The Writing Center offers convenient online appointments through WCOnline, our online scheduling system. You can log into our scheduling system here to book an online appointment. Then choose a tutor with “Online Appt” after his or her name.
Use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to access our system. Five to ten minutes before your appointment, log into the system and click on your appointment time. Then click the red text that indicates you will begin your appointment. You will then be entered into the appointment screen. Please wait for your tutor to join you.
For your appointment, you will need a stable Internet connection as well as speakers and a microphone (we recommend a headset). We will talk with you during your appointment, and you will be able to upload your paper and discuss it with your tutor. (If, for some reason, we can’t talk and hear each other, we may need to reschedule you for a face-to-face appointment in the Writing Center). Online appointments last 60 minutes.
We look forward to meeting you online!
Writing Center Workshops
Fall 2019 CASA Workshop Series: Success @FMU are interactive sessions open to the entire university body. We provide you with opportunities to learn more about habits that contribute to academic success. No reservation is required. Sessions last 45 minutes and are held in Founders Hall 216B:
- Tips for Studying Math: How to Be Successful Preparing for a Math Test – 3:45, Wednesday, August 28
- Study Smarter – 2:30, Wednesday, September 4
- So You Have to Write An Academic Essay: Organizing and Outlining Strategies – 3:45, Tuesday, September 10
- Time Management: Getting It Together, 3:45, Thursday, September 19
- You’ve Completed Your Research; Now What?: Effective Source Incorporation – 2:30, Wednesday, September 25
- Study Smarter – 2:30, Monday, September 30
- Avoiding Plagiarism – 3:45, Tuesday, October 1
- Keeping Up with Your GPA – 3:45, Thursday, October 3
- Living Wisely on a College Budget – 2:30, Monday, October 14
- Writing Transitions: How to Make Your Essay Flow – 3:45, Tuesday, October 15
- Networking and Relationship Building – 3:45, Wednesday, October 30
- Learning Your Learning Style – 3:45, Tuesday, November 5
- Writing Essay Exams – 3:45, Wednesday, November 13
- Managing End-of-Semester Stress – 3:45, Thursday, November 21