Each spring break, FMU sponsors an exciting opportunity for Honors members. Four students (one senior, one junior, one sophomore, one “at large” student, who may be a freshman) are selected to represent FMU at one of our exchange partners in Europe!
Honors Ambassadors are responsible for recruiting interested students to FMU for a semester or year, but also for touring and seeing the wider world for themselves. FMU covers most of the travel expenses, including air and train fares, hotels, and a per diem for daily dining. Travelers will be responsible for additional costs, including – if necessary –a passport fee).
Who is eligible to apply?
- All applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking, FMU Honors members.
- All applicants must be capable – individually, or with reasonable accommodation – of handing their own luggage, stairs, and walking tours.
- Sophomores must have completed between 22 and 53 credit hours, at least 6 of which must be Honors.
- Juniors must have completed between 54 and 86 credit hours, at least 12 of which must be Honors.
- The required number of Honors credit listed above can include Honors courses during the fall semester that applications are made.
- Ambassadors are chosen by the Honors Committee. If there are no suitable applicants in one category, the Committee may select two applicants from another.
How can I apply?
- There is a formal, but simple, application circulated each fall by the Honors Director. In addition to the usual information – name, contact information, and so on – it requires a faculty reference attesting to your maturity and capacity, as well as a formal statement expressing your interest in being an Honors Ambassador. Your statement should clearly and convincingly explain why you want to go and why you feel you would be a good representative for FMU.
- Applications are due to the Honors Director on November 1 of each year.
- Finalists may be invited to an interview with the selection committee.
- All Ambassador selections are subject to final approval by the Provost.
- All applicants will be notified by November 15.
What responsibilities will the Honors Ambassadors have?
- To attend scheduled pre-trip orientations and to complete all appropriate liability, health, conduct and other forms in a timely fashion.
- To familiarize themselves with the regions and universities to be visited.
- To comport themselves at all times with dignity and courtesy and to make themselves an asset to the delegation.
- To meet and interact with students and faculty during the visit, and to represent FMU accurately and positively.
- Upon return, to complete appropriate REAL surveys and travel journals.