September 13, 2016
FMU readies for 2016-17 academic year
Francis Marion University will begin its 47th year with the start of regular fall classes on Aug. 22-23. Roughly 4,000 students are expected for the Fall semester.
Monday, Aug. 22, is the deadline for registration. For additional information, contact the FMU Admissions at 843-661-1231. Monday is also the admissions deadline for the fall semester.
Key events in the opening weeks of the fall semester are as follows:
- Saturday, Aug. 20, is freshman move-in. Housing opens for freshmen students. Faculty, staff and various student groups from the FMU community will be on hand to assist students and their family, in what has become a highly regarded university tradition.
- Sunday, Aug. 21, dorms are open. Housing opens for upperclassmen to move in.
- Monday, Aug. 22, is orientation. Students who have not attended an orientation session are free to attend this session in Chapman Auditorium to learn about key campus procedures.
- Monday, Aug. 22, is for registration and fee payment. Students will also be able to meet with their advisors for open registration and pay any related fees.
- Monday, Aug. 22, is the faculty welcome. FMU President Dr. Fred Carter welcomes faculty back to campus at a breakfast at 8:30 a.m. in the Ervin Dining Hall. His annual talk assists in setting the tone for the school year.
- Tuesday, Aug. 23, is the first full day of classes. The first classes of the semester will begin on the afternoon of Monday, Aug. 22 at 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday – Friday, Aug. 23-26, is late registration and drop/add. This is the last chance to register for fall classes. Students interested in enrolling in classes should contact the FMU Admissions Office at 843-661-1231.
- Saturday, Aug. 27, is student organization training. The training will take place in Lee Nursing Building at 9 a.m. and will introduce new students to many of the organizations. They will also learn how to complete space requests and apply for funds.