The Career Center offers a number of services that assist our students in their career development process. We will be glad to speak to your department, a class, or a student organization about career development resources, resume writing, interviewing skills, job search strategies, and other topics pertaining to career planning.
- Career Planning Workshops
–Workshops featuring faculty, staff, alumni, and employers who offer participants career preparation guidance and mentoring.
–Topics discussed include goal planning, major selection, campus involvement, networking, social media, job searching, resumes, interviewing, and professional preparation.
- Graduate School Information Sessions
–Participants learn about the application process and career opportunities during and after graduate school.
- GRE Information Sessions
–Participants learn about resources for GRE preparation and test-taking tips.
- Career Fair Preparation Workshops
–Participants learn how to prepare for the on-campus career fairs and how to follow-up with prospective employers.
- Career Fairs
–Each fall and spring semester, students and alumni can meet prospective employers and graduate programs to learn about career opportunities.
–Research the companies on their websites and social media pages so that you know how your education, experiences, and skills fit with the organizations’ missions.
- Other Helpful Resources
- LinkedIn is a great resource for posting your resume online, networking with current and former contacts, and for locating potential job opportunities. Increasingly, job applicants are locating jobs via LinkedIn rather than through traditional job advertisements.
- Handshake is a professional networking site connecting students and alumni with employers. Handshake users can design profiles to convey academic accomplishments, work experiences, and career goals. The site will connect FMU students and alumni with a wide array of internship and job opportunities from multiple industries In addition, students and alumni can receive information about FMU Career Development functions, including career fairs, professional preparation sessions, graduate school preparation sessions, resume workshops, and employer guest speakers.