The MSLP Pre-Requisite course sequence at Francis Marion University is specifically designed to prepare students who have earned Bachelor’s degrees in other fields to apply for admission to graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology at Francis Marion and/or other universities. These graduate level courses are essential for matriculation into Master’s programs and success on the Praxis Examination in Speech-Language Pathology and the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP).
This is not a degree program. All students who wish to complete this course sequence must apply to FMU as a non-degree seeking student. Applications for the pre-requisite course sequence run once an academic year (August 15th – March 15th) for Fall admission.
The course sequence is designed to take one (1) year or three (3) semesters to complete, which allows students who have successfully (with a grade of B or better) completed the pre-requisite course sequence to apply for admission to graduate programs during the following application cycle.
Note: Completion of the MSLP Pre-Requisite course sequence does NOT guarantee acceptance into the FMU MSLP program. All students are encouraged to research the admissions requirements of all of the graduate programs to which they are applying.
General Coursework Requirements:
- At least one course in the Biological Sciences – Biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, and veterinary science are all possible options to meet this prerequisite.
- At least one course in the Physical Sciences – Physics or chemistry is required to meet this prerequisite.
- At least one course in Statistics – The course must be an actual statistics course and not a research methods course; it does not need to be a CSD statistics course.
- At least one course in the Social/Behavioral Sciences – Courses in psychology, sociology, anthropology, or education are all possible options to meet this prerequisite.
Note: Students are advised to have all courses above complete prior to completing the pre-requisite course sequence.
Pre-Requisite Course Sequence
The following Speech-Language Pathology Pre-requisites must be completed (with a grade of B or higher) for admission to the FMU MSLP program:
- SLP 501 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanisms (3)
- SLP 504 Speech and Language Disorders Across the Lifespan (3)
- SLP 505 Principles of Assessment and Treatment in Communication Disorders (3)
- SLP 506 Multicultural Aspects of Communication Differences and Disorders (3)
- SLP 507 Language and Speech Development (3)
- SLP 508 Hearing Sciences and Audiological Disorders (3)
- SLP 510 Introduction to Speech and Language Disorders (3)
- SLP 515 Phonetics and Phonology (3)
- SLP 520 Structured Observations and Pre-Clinical Simulation Experiences: 25 to 50 clinical hours under the direct supervision of an ASHA-Certified SLP and/or Audiologist (1)
The application process for the MSLP Pre-Requisite course sequence is separate from the MSLP program application process. Applicants seeking admission to the MSLP Pre-Requisite course sequence must submit the following items by March 15th for Fall admission:
- Completed graduate non-degree status application.
- Non-refundable graduate application fee ($41)
- Pay by Check:
- Please make check payable to Francis Marion University and submit to Office of Admissions at P.O. Box 100547, Florence, SC 29502-0547.
- Pay by Card
- Payments can be made over the phone by calling the Cashier’s Office at 843-661-1120.
- Please write down your receipt number.
- Pay by Check:
- Official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate coursework
- Transcripts are required for all undergraduate and graduate coursework. Please have official electronic transcripts sent to GRADUATE@fmarion.edu
- If your school does not provide electronic transcripts, please have hard copies sent to:Graduate Non-Degree SLP Preparation Courses FMU Masters of Speech-Language Pathology Program School of Health Sciences P.O. Box 100547Florence, SC 29502-0547
- One (1) letter of recommendation
- This can be from a current or former professor, professional colleague, or community leader who can attest to your abilities, work history and/or other factors that would make you a viable candidate for a seat in the preparation course sequence and, possibly, our Masters of Speech-Language Pathology program. The letter of recommendation form is available here.
- Personal statement
- Personal statement should be approximately 500 words and describe why you wish to enroll in these courses. The personal statement submission form is available here.
- Proof of a completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, in any discipline.
- Proof of at least a 3.0 overall GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in your Bachelor’s degree.
Tuition and Fees
Students enrolled in the MSLP Pre-Requisite courses will pay the same tuition as MSLP students. Financial aid is available.
View tuition and fees here.
For more information on the MSLP Pre-Requisite Courses, please contact:
Tiffany Murphy, B.S.
MSLP Administrative Assistant