The MSLP Pre-Requisite course sequence at Francis Marion University is specifically designed to prepare students who have earned Bachelor’s degrees in other fields to apply for admission to graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology at Francis Marion and/or other universities. These graduate level courses are essential for matriculation into Master’s programs and success on the Praxis Examination in Speech-Language Pathology and the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP).
This is not a degree program. All students who wish to complete this course sequence must apply to FMU as a non-degree seeking student. Applications for the pre-requisite course sequence are accepted once an academic year (deadline May 15th) for Fall admission.
The pre-requisite course sequence is designed to take one (1) one or two (2) semesters to complete, which allows students who have successfully (with a grade of B or better) completed the pre-requisite course sequence to apply for admission to graduate programs during the following application cycle.
Note: Completion of the MSLP Pre-Requisite course sequence does NOT guarantee acceptance into the FMU MSLP program. All students are encouraged to research the admissions requirements of all of the graduate programs to which they are applying.
General Coursework Requirements:
- At least one course in the Biological Sciences – Biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroanatomy and neurophysiology, human genetics, and veterinary science are all possible options to meet this prerequisite.
- At least one course in the Physical Sciences – Physics or chemistry is required to meet this prerequisite.
- At least one course in Statistics – The course must be an actual statistics course and not a research methods course; it does not need to be a CSD statistics course.
- At least one course in the Social/Behavioral Sciences – Courses in psychology, sociology, anthropology, or education are all possible options to meet this prerequisite.
Note: Students are advised to have all courses above complete prior to completing the pre-requisite course sequence.
Pre-Requisite Course Sequence
The following Speech-Language Pathology Pre-requisites must be completed (with a grade of B or higher) for admission to the FMU MSLP program:
- SLP 501 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanisms (3)
- SLP 504 Speech and Language Disorders Across the Lifespan (3)
- SLP 505 Principles of Assessment and Treatment in Communication Disorders (3)
- SLP 506 Multicultural Aspects of Communication Differences and Disorders (3)
- SLP 507 Language and Speech Development (3)
- SLP 508 Hearing Sciences and Audiological Disorders (3)
- SLP 510 Introduction to Speech and Language Disorders (3)
- SLP 515 Phonetics and Phonology (3)
- SLP 520 Structured Observations and Pre-Clinical Simulation Experiences: 25 to 50 clinical hours under the direct supervision of an ASHA-Certified SLP and/or Audiologist (1)
The MSLP Program utilizes the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application System (CSDCAS) for processing applications. To apply to our program, you must have a verified CSDCAS application.
Application Cycle Opens: September 30, 2020
Application Deadline: May 15, 2021
- Proof of a completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, in any discipline.
- Proof of at least a 3.0 overall GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in your Bachelor’s degree.
- Required Materials:
- Official transcript of all undergraduate and graduate coursework, submitted to CSDCAS
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. At least 1 recommendation must be from a faculty member from whom you have taken at least one (1) course.
- A 400 word personal essay, submit to CSDCAS in documents tab.
Tuition and Fees
Students enrolled in the MSLP Pre-Requisite courses will pay the same tuition as MSLP students. Financial aid is available.
View tuition and fees here.
For more information on the MSLP Pre-Requisite Course Sequence, please contact:
Ms. Whitney Moore
MSLP Administrative Assistant