The legal authority and operating control of the institution are clearly defined for the following areas within the institution’s governance structure: (Governing board control)
188.8.131.52 institution’s mission
X In compliance Partially compliant Non-compliant
The following duties, which are assigned to the Board of Trustees by the Bylaws of the Board of Trustees, relate to the university’s mission:
- To safeguard the purposes of the University and the ideals by which it is guided; to periodically review the mission and purpose of the University in the light of educational, economic, and societal change and to revise the mission and educational philosophy as needed, within the statutory framework and statewide coordination under which the University functions.
- To assure the effective operation of educational programs and services so as to effectively carry out the University’s mission; to review and approve proposals for major revision of degree programs and educational support services in accordance with the University’s mission and resources.
- To assure the effectiveness of comprehensive and mission-based institutional planning; to review, approve, and adopt plans for program development, financial strengthening, and capital and campus development; to assure the effective implementation of plans and to monitor the formation of short-term plans and decisions in the light of long-term goals for University development.
- To delegate the functions and responsibilities of the faculty and to provide for the effectiveness of the faculty in discharging those functions and responsibilities .
If a modification to the mission seems necessary, the department or committee (standing or ad hoc) will engage in discussions which may involve any or all of the following: Faculty Executive Committee, Provost, and President.
If the proposed changes are recommended, the President will act as charged in Bylaws of the Board of Trustees:
- To exercise leadership in working with the faculty and academic officers in developing plans and proposals for educational programs and policies; to review and evaluate faculty proposals for major revision of educational programs and policies and to present them to the Board with his recommendation concerning their action; to bear responsibility for the orderly implementation of educational programs and policies .
The University’s mission statement, which is published on the university’s website  and in the Catalog 2016-2017 , has been revised twice since 2007. The two resolutions were approved by the Board of Trustees on June 15, 2012  and November 17, 2016 . Subsequently, the revisions were approved by the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education as required .